Plum dumplings are a staple in some European kitchens and can be eaten as dessert or main dish.
- Cut potatoes into cubes and cook in boiling water. Drain and mash.
- Heat oil and fry breadcrumbs until golden brown. Remove from heat, let them cool and combine crumbs with sugar.
- Wash and pit plums, cut into half or keep them whole depending on their size.
- Place a large pot with water and salt to boil.
- When mashed potatoes cools slightly, add salt and egg. When well combined add flour. Knead until a soft dough forms.
- Divide the dough in equal pieces and make round balls.
- Flatten the ball into a disk. Place a plum into a piece of dough, fold the dough and press to seal the edges and form into a ball.
- Very carefully drop dumplings in salted, boiling water. Cook for 20 minutes or until they are cooked thru. Drain them. Repeat the process; do not overcrowd the pot with dumplings.
- Roll hot dumplings into breadcrumbs.
- Serve dumplings hot or cold with more sugar breadcrumbs on top.
- Prep Time: 1.5 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dessert