A simple recipe for blue meringue cookies that melts in your mouth!
- 6 large egg whites
- 330 g superfine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- Blue gel food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 200°F. Line up 2 large baking sheet with parchment paper and glue down the paper on the corners with a bit of meringue.
- Carefully separate 6 egg whites from the yolks into a small bowl, one at the time and then add them to a big bowl. Be sure that the mixing bowl and whisk are free from grease (use vinegar and paper towel to wipe the bowl and the whisk). If there’s any trace of yolk in the white the whites will not become fluffy.
- Add the cream of tartar and salt. Beat the whites (medium speed) with a mixer until they became soft pick form.
- Add sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at the time until the whites begin to form soft peaks. Increase the speed at medium-high. You know they are well beaten when they are stiff, smooth, glossy and do not fall out when overturning the bowl. The sugar has to be completely dissolved (rub the mixture between fingers to determine if the sugar granules are dissolved). Add the blue gel food color tower the end of beating and ensure the color is fully incorporated.
- Fit a piping bag with a plain or star tip and fill the bag with meringue 3/4 of the way full. You can transform plain meringue by adding color with a wood stick making 4 to 6 stripes inside the bag before adding the meringue.
- Pipe the meringue on the baking sheet into 1½-inch-diameter cookies, spacing them about ½ inch apart.
- Place both trays into the oven, one in the upper third and one in the lower third, bake for 1 hour to 1½ hour, turn off the oven, crack the door open, and let the meringue cool completely in the oven.
- Meringues are done when they are dry and crisp throughout and they come out easy from the paper.
Do not make meringues on a wet or humid day, moisture will cause them to become sticky and soft.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Resting time in the oven: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Blue meringue cookies