- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion (cut small cubes)
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 4-5 leaves fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup finely minced fresh mint
- 5 cloves garlic (finely shredded)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggplant
- olive oilfor frying
- 400 gr fresh mozzarella, sliced or cubed
- 12-16 slices Mortadella
For the Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, add 2 tbsp. oil and the chopped onion and slowly let the onion become translucent. Add the tomato sauce.
- Stir and cook at low for about 10-15 minutes until the sauce thicken and is not too much liquid. Keep aside for later.
Eggplant Parmesan Preparation:
- In a medium bowl, add flower, Parmesan, finely shredded garlic, mint, eggs, salt, water and mix well. Add more water as needed to make the batter thick enough to adhere to the eggplant slices.
- Peel the eggplants. Cut eggplant into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices.
- Heat a large skillet over a medium-high.
- Dip the slices of eggplant in the batter and fry them in oil.
- Once they turn golden, place them on a plate with paper towels to drain the oil.
- Take a rectangular pan and coat with 2 tbsp. of marinara sauce.
- Place a layer of the eggplants; add marinara sauce on each slice of eggplant followed by Parmesan cheese and mozzarella slices.
- Cover with a layer of mortadella. Repeat the process.
- Cover with marinara sauce and Parmesan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degree Celsius)
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, add mozzarella slices and bake for 5-10 more minutes.
- Bon Appetite!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Lunch