This decadent and light cake is a perfect combination of super tender vanilla cake layer topped with silky smooth lemon vanilla custard.
Make Lemon Vanilla Custard Cream:
- 2 cups whole milk (500 ml)
- 2 large egg yolk
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp butter
Make Cake batter:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 orange zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp baking powder
Lemon Vanilla Custard Cream:
- Mix the eggs with sugar, corn starch, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice until smooth. Add ¼ of the cold milk.
- Heat up the remaining ¾ of the milk over medium heat. When it begins to boil, turn down to low heat and add egg mixture. Bring to a boil and stir continuously for 3-4 minutes until the cream thickens up.
- Remove from the heat, add butter and mix until incorporated. Pour custard cream into a glass container and cover entire surface with plastic wrap to prevent the skin to form on the surface. Cool down the custard to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile cut a round shape of parchment paper and add it to a round pie dish.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with sugar until creamy, then add salt, orange zest, vanilla extract, oil and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix the flour and baking powder. Incorporate flour to egg mixture using a whisk. Do not overmix the cake batter to avoid developing the gluten. The result should be a thick batter.
Assemble and decor:
- Pour batter into round pie dish and level the surface.
- Add the custard into a piping bag.
- Pipe the custard in a diamond shape on top of the cake batter.
- Decorate with almond slivers on top of the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown on top and the cake batter is baked. Insert a toothpick or a thin skewer into center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, with no streaks of batter is the sign the cake is done.
- Remove from the oven and let sit cooling rack. After 30 minutes carefully remove the cake from the pie dish and place it onto a plate.
- Dust with powder sugar on top.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minute
- Category: Dessert