This pasta recipe is so easy to make, comes together in only 20 minutes and uses just a handful of ingredients. Perfect combination of smooth pappardelle tossed with meaty mushrooms and soft chicken bites covered in flavored garlic gravy and topped with savory parmesan cheese and aromatic parsley.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large chicken breast
- 600 g cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 300 g pappardelle pasta
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- parmesan cheese, finely grated, divided
- crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Cook the pasta: Cook the pasta in salted water according to packet instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta and reserve some cooking water.
- Cook the chicken and mushrooms: Meanwhile in a large frying pan sauté chicken cubes in oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes until softened. Remove chicken from pan and set aside on a plate. In the same pan melt the butter and a tablespoon of oil, add the onions, mushrooms, garlic and cook stirring occasionally until liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are brown and softened. Add back the sautéed chicken to mushrooms mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Crushed red pepper flakes are optional.
- Finish the sauce and toss in pasta: Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the cream and parmesan to the mushrooms mixture. Using tongs transfer al dente pasta to the sauce and toss to combine adding a little bit of the reserved pasta starchy water if needed. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes to allow the pasta to finish cooking and absorb some of the sauce. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve: Divide among bowls and top with lemon juice, grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Make sure you use fresh mushrooms not canned for best flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pappardelle, best pappardelle recipe, creamy mushrooms pappardelle, mushroom pasta sauce, tagliatelle, pasta