This quick, delicious and creamy chicken and mushrooms pappardelle recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner or to serve to guests.
Perfect combination of smooth pasta tossed with meaty mushrooms and soft chicken bites covered in flavored garlic gravy and topped with savory parmesan cheese and aromatic parsley.
This pasta recipe is so easy to make, comes together in only 20 minutes and uses just a handful of ingredients. This is a real treat for pasta and mushroom lovers and guaranteed to please the entire family.
- What are Pappardelle, Tagliatelle and Fettucine?
- What mushrooms to use for this recipe?
- What ingredients do you need to make the chicken and mushrooms pappardelle?
- How to make this creamy chicken and mushrooms pappardelle?
- How to make this dish into a vegan mushrooms pasta dish?
- Top tips to make the chicken and mushrooms pappardelle recipe:
- More Quick Pasta Recipes?
What are Pappardelle, Tagliatelle and Fettucine?
As per Wikipedia:
Pappardelle are 2-3 cm large, very broad, flat pasta, similar to wide fettuccine, originating from the region of Tuscany.
Tagliatelle are a traditional type of pasta from the Emilia-Romagna and Marche regions of Italy. Individual pieces of tagliatelle are long, flat ribbons that are similar in shape to fettuccine and are typically about 6.5 to 10 mm wide.
Fettuccine is a type of pasta popular in Roman and Tuscan cuisine. It is flat, thick pasta traditionally made of egg and flour. At about 0.25 inches (6.4 mm), it is wider and thicker than, but similar to tagliatelle.
What mushrooms to use for this recipe?
This recipe calls for cremini mushrooms, but you can use white or Portobello mushrooms.
What ingredients do you need to make the chicken and mushrooms pappardelle?
This pasta recipe is the perfect combination of:
- Chicken breast
- Cremini mushrooms or replace with white, shiitakes, porcini or Portobello
- Garlic for flavor
- Pappardelle pasta but you can use Tagliatelle or Fettucine
- Cream for a delicious creamy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese for flavor
- Fresh parsley or dill for garnish
- Crushed red pepper flakes are optional
How to make this creamy chicken and mushrooms pappardelle?
- Cook the mushrooms: Sauté chicken in oil, cook until softened then add the mushrooms, garlic and season well.
- Cook the pasta: Cook the pasta al dente according to packet instructions in salted water. Drain the pasta and reserve some cooking water.
- Finish the sauce and toss in pasta: Add the crème fraiche and parmesan to the mushrooms, mix. Transfer pasta to the sauce and toss. Add pasta water if needed. Serve with extra grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
How to make this dish into a vegan mushrooms pasta dish?
- Make this dish vegan by skipping the chicken, butter and parmesan – it’s just as delicious!
- In addition you can replace the cream with a splash of soy milk.
Top tips to make the chicken and mushrooms pappardelle recipe:
- Everything can be done in 2 pots and 20 minutes, making this a great weeknight meal.
- Make sure you use fresh mushrooms not canned.
- Clean off the dirt from mushrooms using a damp paper towel. If you wash them they will absorb the water. Do not slice mushrooms too thinly as they will reduce their shape during cooking.
- Cook the pasta until it is just al dente since it will continue to cook when it’s added back to the pan.
- Make sure to reserve some of your pasta cooking water.
- Add few splashes of cream and pasta water at the end of cooking if needed to get a creamier sauce.
- Squeeze lemon juice overtop before serving for a fresh taste.
- Store the chicken mushrooms pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
More Quick Pasta Recipes?
Please let me know how your chicken and mushrooms pappardelle turn out in the comments! I love hearing from you. Snap a photo and hashtag it #alexascuisine.
Did you love this Creamy chicken and mushrooms pappardelle? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!