This Eggplant Parmesan with Mortadella recipe is exactly what I was craving! It is absolutely delicious and is the ultimate comfort food!
My version of Italian Eggplant Parmesan with breaded eggplant slices layered with marinara sauce, Parmesan, mozzarella and basil.
Secret ingredient is Mortadella but you can really taste the rich eggplant flavor. This is a tasty and popular dish. Baked until tender it is a simple comfort food at its very best.
- You do not have to peel the eggplant. The skin is entirely edible, some larger eggplants it can be a little tough.
- Choose eggplant not too big to avoid risk of seeds and bitterness.
- To make eggplant crispier and less greasy after frying place it on a baking rack to allow the grease to drip and avoid the eggplant to become soggy.
- Salting the eggplant first however is a step I don’t recommend skipping!
- Use the highest quality marinara for best results.
- This dish can be made 1 to 2 days ahead. First cool the skillet after baking than covered it and keep it in the fridge. Reheat the skillet in the oven before serving.
- Also you can freeze this dish after baking, cooled first and covered.
OTHER POPULAR DINER RECIPES TO TRY
What is your favorite eggplant parmesan recipe?